Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 9: Cookin up a storm

So, I woke up at about 03:15, got dressed and came into the galley for coffee to find the AB and Chief Mate chatting it up. We all shared a few words while we sipped our morning liquids. The Mate ascended to the pilothouse, the AB hit his rack and I went to work.

I had planned on making a pot roast for dinner tonight, so I thought I'd better get going on it since it takes a few hours to cook and I won't have enough time when I come on watch at 16:00 to get t done before dinner at 17:00, so I whipped up spices, some broth and got it going in the oven. Then, I fired up the crockpot and made a pretty tasty corn chowder for lunch, complete with bacon, which then prompted me to get breakfast going with bacon and pancakes. The AB caught a whiff of the bacon and re-emerged from his stateroom around 6:45, mumbling something about eggs. I said, "no, just pancakes and bacon, but I'd be happy to make some for you". So I cooked him up a few eggs so he could make a breakfast sandwich.

It's now 08:00, the breakfast is nearly gone, the chowder is cooking, the pot roast is cooling, the trash can is full of wrappers, the coffee pots are full of freshness and I'm tired. Whew. I think I washed my hands about 40 times in 4 hours and my skin is as dry as sandpaper. I do believe I earned my pay today.

Headin' to bed... See ya.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment