Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 8: Entering Cook

We are slowly getting closer Chugach Island at the tip of the Kenai Penisula, which marks the entrance to the Cook Inlet (which takes us to Anchorage). It's about a day to Anchorage after we enter the inlet and head north by Northeast, which is really just slightly left of northeast. :-)

We are getting pushed in the right direction with some nasty winds right now, and the boat is riding pretty nice. The gusts are supposed to be hitting about 40-45 knots here within the next few hours, so the captain asked me to make sure the galley was all lashed down and ready for weather. With an old boat like this, who knows what is going to bust loose and decide to go flying. Seems like she's got a few loose screws here and there, but something tells me she thrives in the heavy seas. Old Manfred Nystrom himself came strolling through the galley the other night while I was doing dishes. The fidley door just magically swung open, and then swung closed all on its own. The upper dog is always latched (everyone is pretty good about doing so), so I just assumed it was Mr. Nystrom making his rounds.

I burnt a pie tonight, probably the my first cooking screw-up. The oven is funky and never wants to cooperate with me. I typically leave it on all day so that its ready to go (typical protocol), and it was reading 350 all day. I bumped it up just a little for my pie, but it went way high and burnt the crust. It was still good though with a little ice cream.

We had pizza for dinner and they turned out perfect. Everyone was concerned because I put "pepperoni and sum thin" on the menu board, along with "margherita pizza". They was confoozled and thought I was making blended drinks. They liked the pizza nevertheless...

Anyhow, can't sleep. Pretty typical. I'll sleep really good after one watch and crappy after the next. It all works out in the end and usually end up with the right amount per day. It would be nice to just sleep all my spare time away, but its not that easy sometimes. The crew continues to be really cool.. "Stinky" (the chief engineer) relieves me from my watch a bit early every day because he gets up early. Hs real name is Steve, but everyone calls him Stinky. I work the 4-8, he takes over and works the 8-12 with the Captain (Terry).

I got an email from home (via the boat's Sat modem) and my dad is doing well. They had to do a tracheotomy, so he can't talk, but is apparently in good spirits. I told Erin to let him know that teeth are not required for driving a motor home. Hopefully it made him smile.

Well, I'm gonna give sleep a chance and see what happens. Chat at ya later... It sure who, but someone inside my iPad I presume. :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment