Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 7: Sauerkraut and Eggs

No, I didn't combine them. But I did throw some kraut/dogs in the crockpot at the same time I was making sausage and eggs, AND bran muffins from scratch. I guess my French roast brew was a bit strong this morning. The other AB usually makes coffee for me at the end of his watch, but he will usually make the standard old Folgers, which I refer to as "water-bewitched" since its more like tea to me (referring to an earlier post about nautical jargon and tea). Folgers will suffice for most folks, but when you have to be up at 3am and preparing 2-3 different meals for 6 hungry dudes, I prefer something with a bit more punch in the eye hole.

Every hour we do engine room checks or "security rounds" on our watch to make sure there isn't a gaping hole in the side of the boat or lube oil flinging around in the engine room. After each round, we check in the with pilothouse and make sure the watch stander (Mate or Captain) is still alive and kicking (there are stories of guys kicking the bucket at the helm and nobody new for hours). Occasionally the mate on watch will ask me to watch the helm for a bit while he hits the head or grabs something to eat. Today, the chief Mate did so, and I had the opportunity to sit there, enjoying the view, thinking... "Man, this is so much more relaxing than having to cook shit all day or clean showers... and I look forward to getting my mate's license!" :-). He returned a good 15 minutes later, so I descended back down to the galley and slaved over the foods for another few hours.

At any rate, another boring day on the gulf. The seas are still 4-6', pretty easy going... But just enough to make you look drunk as you stagger down the passageway.

I was aiming for some good sleep last night, but I tossed and turned for about 3 hours before falling asleep and dreaming that there was a rattlesnake in my room. I wasn't alway in my room, first it was in my house and a friend of mine was trying to convince me that it would be a good pet if we can simply ensure that hedoesn' get out of his aquarium (duh!). He was attempting to illustrate how docile they can be by petting it and treating it like a cobra by waving his arms around slow and mysteriously, but I wasn't buying it. I was trying to figure out how the hell we could make it go away without pissing it off. Once I awoke and convinced myself that even if there was a rattle snake in my room, he probably wouldn't be real... THEN and only then was I able to go back to sleep. Wicked wicked dreams out here I tell you. The steady motion (eventually) rocks you to sleep and settles you into your rack like a layer of sediment... The more motion, the farther you settle. I have some extremely vidid and weird dreams on the water, some good, some bad.

Tonight's menu is chicken tetrazzini. Some sort of chicken and pasta combination thingy that I pulled from the cookbook. Sounded good and looked easy so therefore meets my criteria. We will know for sure around 6pm if it pleases the masses.

I found out that I will most likely be sailing with the same crew on the next run, which leaves on the 23rd. It will be another Anchorage run, and unless we get a cook to fill in for the AB that is leaving, I'll probably be cooking again. Call me cookie.

I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of dreams. Ttfn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment