Wednesday, March 13, 2013

RFPNWhat?

Today's topic? "Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch", which is essentially the basics for watch keeping with regards to protocol and etiquette. For instance; How to relieve a watchstander (and hand over your watch) effectively, how to report contacts to the bridge when on lookout duties, how to call out bearings relative to the boat, taking orders at the helm, making course adjustments, how to adjust for gyro error, magnetic variations and much more. We moved through the class pretty fast and it seemed fairly easy for someone who has experience with compass work and bridge time. The exam was simple and I scored a 100% before receiving my official certificate of Training. Many more to come.
Tomorrow we report to school at 08:00 and we are apparently going to board a Foss tug and do some line handling, and potentially go for a spin. Should be fun.
I got word today from my sponsor company that when I ship out on the 5th, that I won't be back until early May. Originally I thought it would only be a few weeks, but its looking more like a month. I immediately called Erin and broke the news. This means that I'm looking at being gone from home for at least 7 weeks maybe longer on this first session. The life of a mariner I guess...

1 comment:

  1. We are "putting in the time" now to set us up for the future. We made it through week 1 and routines are starting to take place at home. You have awesome kids that are stepping up to the plate and assuming new responsibilities at home - not to mention a pretty awesome wife ;). We love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete