Friday, March 22, 2013

AB class COMPLETE!

I just finished up the Able Seaman class and passed both tests.  I thought we had it licked pretty good, but there was a fair amount of items on the test that weren't really discussed in the class at much detail.  Anything having to do with vessels in fog, left me kinda "in the fog".. many variables to consider and many that we didn't spend much time on.  At any rate, I PASSED and am ready to move onto the next class, Basic Safety Training, next week. I won't get my Coast Guard "ticket" for Able Seaman until I complete the Lifeboatman class, which I'm trying to fit in in April.  That "ticket" is a huge pay upgrade in the merchant mariner world, so it's a high priority on my list.  Luckily, my Navy seatime is what is helping me get there faster.  Many of the folks in my class will have to wait a year+ before getting their AB ticket because they are lacking seatime.

For BST next week, we get to do a ton of things like get in the water with immersion suits, fight fire, flip a life raft, CPR/First Aid, etc.  It will certainly be a nice change from being wrapped up in the classroom for the past week or so. It should be a bit more interactive....

For now, it's 2 days of rest and maybe a few celebratory beers.  I'll be meeting up with an old high school buddy on Sunday over on Bainbridge Island, which will be kinda fun.

dat is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment