Monday, February 11, 2013

Back on Deck

Once the shop closed, I had a few months of wrap up to do and it gave me ample soul-searching time to think about "what's next".  I looked at jobs, willing to do whatever I could to make money.  The jobs that paid well, I wasn't qualified for and the jobs that were easy to get, I was over qualified for.  Application after application and not one (1) interview.  The whole time, I was looking into the maritime world and trying to crack the nut I knew was inside.  It's not an industry that you just jump into.  There's paperwork, physicals, background checks, more paperwork and tests, just so that you can try and figure out how to apply for all the jobs, that then require experience.  It's complex and elusive, but everything I read was amazing.

Finally, realizing that I needed some training, I came across some schooling options.  Being that I had a degree, the 4-year maritime academy route didn't make sense.  I then set my sites on a vocational program in Seattle that trains you and places you with a company all at once. Pacific Maritime Institute made sense, and so I applied.

Now, 2 months later, I have jumped through all the hoops, gathered all the credentials, taken tests, got my passport, visited Seattle for an interview and am ready to begin a new career.

On March 11th I start a 3 week class for basic training and safety classes, then I will be working with a company for 2 months before heading back to Seattle for the month of June.  July-September will be work and then all of October will be classes.  I bounce back and forth for 24 months, but all said and done, I'll graduate with my Coast Guard Mate's license and hopefully still employed by the host company.  A few years after that, I should be able to sit and take my captain's license.  Mate and Captain positions are fairly similar.  Both pay well and do similar duties, yet a captains job consists of quite a bit more responsibility (and corresponding pay).

I will be working as a deck-hand for the next 2 years, earning my way up to the pilothouse.  I need to  fully understand all aspects of deck-work before telling people how to do it.  I'm looking forward to learning the "ropes", some of which I already have a good handle on from prior experiences.

I recently sold my beloved Vanagon Westfalia to purchase a more "Sac-Seattle Commute-Friendly" car, an older Subaru Outback LL Bean with Gold accents...  I hate gold accents, so hopefully you understand that I'm "all business" right now and motivated to get this thing underway.  Function over form is my approach with long-term sites set on financial stability and a hard-working job I enjoy.

I'm awaiting a phone call from the school right now to find out which company is going to take me under their wings.  Rumour has it that one of the best outfits in San Francisco is interested in me, but won't be making a decision until next week.  I'll post up more as it comes.

From here on out, I'll be posting mostly updates but needed to post up some insight as to the "why" before getting into the nitty gritty of everyday life.  At the very least, maybe my kids will read this and get a better understanding of how this all came about.

Tis' all for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment