Monday, February 11, 2013

Back in Civies

Once I was back into normal land-based life, I went down the path of meeting my soon-to-be wife, getting my degree, finding a job and more.

In an nutshell, I went back to school thinking that I'd focus on engineering.  Smart move, but I wasn't "passionate" about engineering. It was cool, but I didn't spend my waking hours, dreaming about equations and designs.  I was out cycling, hiking, enjoying the mountains that I had missed for so long. I eventually changed majors and got my degree in Recreation Administration in hope of finding something that would pay me well to do things in the out-of-doors.

I married my lovely wife in 1996 and we had our daughter in 1998, bought a house in 1999.  Life was good.

During that time, I was offered a full-time position on Campus as Sac State, as the Assistant Director of the outdoor recreation program and I spend about 5+ years doing marketing, training and outdoor trips. During this time, we had our little boy and it seemed as though I was "settled down".  The job was fun, but no room for advancement and eventually budget cuts (a common theme) eliminated my job.

9 months later, I opened a bike shop.

Again, in a nutshell..  the shop did really well for the first few years, but then economic times (we can call them budget cuts for the sake of keeping it in the theme) began to slowly rip away at us.  One of the interesting things that happened in this 7.5 year span, was that I came across a small sailboat through a neighbor.  It somehow re-ignited my passion for the water.  I slowly began to reminisce about "the days" on the boat and how fun it was as a kid.  I started sailing again with the family, racing, joined a sailing club and taking friends out whenever possible. It was fun, but I had the desire to go bigger... just like my dad....

No comments:

Post a Comment