Thursday, November 20, 2014

Difficulty in the Rear View!

GMDSS didn't go so well back in the Spring, so I did a retake this week on the lab portion and somehow completed the course.  It wasn't easy and the material wasn't as fresh as it was a few months ago, but it stuck enough to help me through.  Definitely a hard class and I'm glad to have it behind me.


In the process of GMDSS this week, I did a little research and met with the officials of the school regarding my sea time.  I had been told by various mariner friends that I "might" already have the needed sea time for licensing and that I just needed to finish a few classes and submit the application to the Coast Guard.  After a few emails and phone calls, I met with the school and we confirmed that I have indeed already met the requirements for testing as a "Hawsepiper", and furthermore, should be able to go for a bigger license than originally expected.  I was originally shooting for a 1600 ton Near Coastal and 500 ton Oceans Mate license, but because I spent all of my Navy time on vessels that were "unlimited" tonnage (i.e. huge), that I should qualify for the grand daddy of Mate licenses "3rd Mate Unlimited".  It means that I will need to step aside from the Workboat Mate Program to submit my application, but I'll still be a PMI Student and finish out my classes with all my class/shipmates and then celebrate graduation in the Spring.

So, once I return from this trip to Hawaii (leaving tomorrow morning), I'll be working towards getting my application together and arranging all my paperwork for submission.  If all goes well, I'll be sitting for my license in February or March.  Worst case scenario is that the Coast Guard gives me grief about "recency" with regards to Unlimited tonnage, but I can still sit for my 1600 ton and upgrade to 3rd later.  The actual testing with the Coast Guard takes about a week...  7 modules over 4-5 days. Oy.  I'm thinking at this point that becoming a lawyer might be an easier path.  :-)

At any rate, the light at the end of the tunnel is growing brighter each week and the stress loads are slowly lifting.  Right now, I'm sitting in a brewery, enjoying a beer to celebrate the completion of GMDSS and preparing my mind for another month at sea.

We depart Seattle tomorrow for a month-long trip to Hawaii, (2-weeks there, 2 weeks back).  It'll go quick and then I'll be home for the holidays with my family.  I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my wife and kids.

I probably won't have any more posts for a few weeks, but I'll upload some posts once we reach Oahu.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment