Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

It’s Tuesday before Thanksgiving and we are directly abeam (to the West) of San Francisco by a few hundred miles.  We are clipping along at about 9 knots and the weather is pretty calm.  Our first few days out of the Straights of Juan de Fuca were pretty crappy, but the last two have been better but still less than ideal.  It’s only day 4 of a long transit, but the seas are beginning to calm down and the water is slowly turning from dark greenish to a lighter blue.  I dare not look at the “miles to go” line on the chart plotter because it’s depressing, but I’m fairly certain we still have about 1800+ miles to go before arriving in Honolulu.

As the weather warms and improves, as does the morale.  Today, the engineer rigged up some outriggers for our hand lines so that the fishing can begin.  In a few days, we’ll start fishing daily for whatever the ocean will throw us.  They’ve been known to pull in some pretty large fish on this run and I’m really looking forward to learning the routine since my deep sea fishing knowledge if pretty null and void.  If all goes well, I’ll be bringing home some frozen Mahi or ?.

I got an email from home today giving me a quick recap on the weekend’s activities.  Erin and the kids hopped in the car and went down to Yosemite for a quick overnight and rented a little cabin in Curry Village.  It sounded really cool and I obviously wished I could’ve been there.  It’s tough knowing that your family is out doing fun things and you’re stuck in a 30’x60’ steel box on a boat in the middle of nothing with 5 other guys.  My off time consists of watching Sopranos (because I had never seen it) and a few other good series.  I just finished up True Detective and I dabble a little with “It’s always Sunny in Phillidelphia”, Criminal Minds, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, and the list goes on. There’s never a shortage of movies and TV shows to go around.  Everyone keeps a collection on the their hard drives, so it’s pretty easy to find something to watch.

Tonight, our cook came down ill with something and I offered to take over dinner for him…  (Nothing like watching a sick guy prepare your meal for you).  He ended up getting everything prepared and I just have to cook it up and clean up afterwards.  I then volunteered to work a double and take the overtime so that he could not have to worry about doing engine room checks as well.  It’s not like I had someplace to be or something better to do. So, I’m chilling in the galley on my laptop, waiting to see if the engineer is going to get up for dinner before I clean up the grub.  After that, I’ll probably just hang out for a bit before I get relieved at 19:45, then I’ll watch a show, grab a nap and come on watch at midnight.


tha tis all.

No comments:

Post a Comment