Thursday, October 9, 2014

Post-Med Pause: Almost Done!

        My wife flew up to Seattle the evening before our last class and we had dinner in West Seattle and a few beers with friends.  The next day I finished up a week of Med Pro (Medical Care Provider).  This was a great class and we had plenty of hands-on practice with First Aid and CPR.  We did the usual stuff as with any first aid/cpr class, but then took it to another level with regards to the type of emergencies that we would encounter out at sea. Stroke, burns, heart attacks, compound fractures etc. and how to deal with them when your closest medical help is hours or even days away.  We had great paramedic instructors who kept the week lively and entertaining, which felt great after 2 weeks of tough celestial thought process.   The best feeling, was the realization that we are essentially done with all of our big classes.  We have about 8 days of mild classes left in January and thats it!  The end is in sight!
The Med Pro room, blown up with first aid supplies

Multiple trauma injury patient

     








After class on Friday and after we had all passed our exams, we had our traditional (and celebratory) "end of the session" lunch/beers with classmates and then my wife and I headed south... she drove.  ;-)   We spent the weekend in Portland with our good friends and so that she and our friend Joe could run the Portland Marathon. Monday morning we headed south again for the warm and dry climate of California.

My wife and our good friend Joe


       I'm home now and trying to relax for a few days before heading back north for work.  I'll be crewing up on the 17th and heading to Anchorage for a 3-4 week trip.  I'm still awaiting word on whether or not I'll have any other trips after this one.  The winter slows down quite a bit for our company, so trips become few and far between after October.  I still need 150 days of sea time before I can submit my packet and test with the Coast Guard next year.  It's going to be a push, but the sooner I get through all the requirements, the sooner I can get that license and move up the ladder to officer status.

      It will go by quick, but I'm dreading the fact that I'll be potential gone a lot over the next 6 months. I think it's safe to say that in a year from now, I'll be working as a Mate, and that is all the motivation I need to get me through the next 6-12 months.  We have a few weeks of test prep after our packets are submitted to the CG in the spring, and then it's test time!  Testing will take all week at the Coast Guard Regional Exam Center and it will be hell... but if all goes well, I'll walk out of there as a Merchant Marine Deck Officer!

I'd better get back to my relaxation, because I may not get much after next week.



Workboat Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment