Friday, April 4, 2014

Invention!

Tonight was taco night, and I began the process around 16:00, giving me ample time to prep all the veggies, cook the meat, heat the tortillas and not feel rushed. Most of our refrigerators and freezers are down in the forepeak of the boat, so you have to walk forward and down some stairs to gather everything you need for your meals. Fortunately, someone had the bright idea to grab one of those handy plastic baskets from the grocery store, you know, the one with the folding handles. Quite handy in this type of setup, but every time in head down there carrying my basket, I feel like I'm off the market.

At any rate, I got all my veggies prepped and needed some olives to finish out the lineup. We only had whole, pitted olives, so I proceeded to slice a whole can of olives, which I've done multiple times before. It's not my favorite task, but it's necessary if you want sliced olives. So as I'm chasing these stupid little olives all over the cutting board that is sitting stationary on top of a countertop that is connected to a 130' vessel in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I invented a new maritime culinary term called "hobbling". I do this all the time, but hadn't really realized it. It's essentially cutting a round vegetable or fruit in half so that it can't roll away from you. On a boat, anything round will take off on its own mission. I always half my tomatoes, onions, olives in this case, etc as my first move so that they stay put, and it works great.

So, anyhow... Hobbling.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment