Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 10 to Hawaii

Time doesn't fly by at ALL when your bobbing around in the Pacific. We started this trip wIth about 4 days of nasty seas, followed with 3-4 days of nice, followed with 2 days of nasty and we still have a few days to go. Yesterday, the winds were right In our face at 40+ knots as well as the ocean swell, causing short-stacked waves and therefore a slow boat. The captain pulled back on the throttle to about 3/4 "impulse" (enter Star Trek Sound here) and we creeped along at about 4-5 knots, getting rocked every which way. It sucked for cooking, sleeping, showering, breathing, living. So far, today has been a bit more calm and we are back up at full power, making good way at around 9 knots, with a much better ride quality.

I couldn't sleep at all last night because of all the jostling around and I was unable to achieved good leverage in my bunk. These bunks are a little wide and leave a little to be desired when your trying to wedge yourself in for rough seas. If you don't find the right position, one or more parts of your body will shift back and forth with the movement of the boat and wake you up, mostly hips, legs, head. It can work to your advantage at times as well, but mostly it's just annoying. If my head isn't stabilized enough, it will move back and forth for hours in my sleep and I'll wake up with a sore neck, or worse, a pinched nerve.

So, it's Monday and we should be popping Into Honalulu on Thursday or Friday sometime. I'm looking forward to getting off the boat and stretching my legs a little, even if its only for a day. Probably going to dips my toes into the sand of Waikiki beach, just because.

Making pot roast in the crockpot for dinner and I baked a couple pumpkin loafs for some finger food for the day. Tuna melts for lunch and eggs over easy and ham for breakfast.

Off to watch my final episode of Game Of Thrones, season 3. There might be more, but this is the last one I have at the ready.

Mike out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment