Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year Underway!

Drove up from Sacramento today, making a pit stop in Portland to have dinner with some good friends that recently relocated from San Jose, then finished off the journey, arriving to the boat about 21:30. I carried my bags down and upon entering the boat, ran into the engineer who had also decided to come early. Together, we got the boat somewhat "woken up" and ready for occupancy for the night. We are scheduled to pull lines tomorrow morning and head to Seattle for our barge before heading north. This trip shouldn't be too long, as we are only supposed to be going to Whittier, AK and back, which should take no more than 3 weeks.

I've been home for the past 6 weeks, enjoying the holidays and gearing up for a busy year. I have 3 school sessions at PMI in 2014, one in Jan. 2015 and a ton of sea-time that needs to be accumulated before I can sit for my licensing exam. I told my port captain to send me out as much as possible and I'll fly home when I can in between trips and school. He told me that I wouldn't have to cook anymore, but there was a trip going out that needed a cook... And I needed sea time, so I said "sure", and here I am.

It's going to be a crazy year, but it will go by fast. I'm going to miss the family immensely, but will do my best to fly home, Facetime, call, email or text when I can to help ease the pain. The last 6 weeks spoiled me with home-time and it was nice just chillin' with the my wife and kids throughout the holidays.

Stay tuned for more blog posts, cuz it's about to get busy and I'll be doing my best to account for each new and exciting experiences.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment