Saturday, January 11, 2014

Caloric Emergency on Deck

So, we pulled into Whittier, AK yesterday and immediately began cargo ops. We pushed on in the freezing temps until the entire barge was empty and we ended up cutting loose around midnight thirty or so. The dock guys wanted us back out the next morning, but we had about 9 hours off. I awoke around 07:30 with an amazing headache... Amazing in the sense that I was amazed at how freaking bad it was. I grabbed some pills and downed some coffee and laid in my rack until about 09:30. At that point, I got dressed! grabbed 2 pieces of toast and headed off to work cargo. I was't even thinking about nourishment, simply wanting my headache to go away.

About 6 hours later, I bonked hard and soon realized that I needed food. We finished up the backload (cargo that we are taking back with us for the return trip), pulled the lines and headed out. After everything was wrapped up, I went down and started dinner for the crew. I whipped up some quick tacos and got everyone fed. I too had a few tacos, quesadilla and some other quick grab snacks.

After I got off of watch, I laid in my rack and watch some TV shows on my ipad, but then got hungry again, craving a Marie Calendars Turkey pot pie... This is where the emergency takes place...

I got up, fetched a pot pie from the freezer, popped it in the microwave and stood patiently for 6 minutes and 30seconds for it to finish. I lined up my plate, got my fork and began to pull it out of the microwave at the end of its cook time. The door on the microwave swung open as I reached in and then closed, hitting my arm and knocking the entire pie onto the deck... FRAAAAKKKKK! I was so pissed. I mumbled some words while cleaning up the hot gooey mess and headed back to my rack to write this down. I WILL attempt to eat another one... Soon.

Good night. :-(

 

No comments:

Post a Comment