Sunday, September 21, 2014

Celestial Break

As I "rest" in between 2 weeks of hell that is called Celestial Navigation, I managed to squeeze away from studying for the day and spend some time with my folks who were up from CA, visiting WA.  I met up with them in Everett and took them down to our docks and showed them around the boats a little.  Afterwards, we hopped on the Edmonds ferry to Kingston and drove up to Nordland Island near Port Townsend to see a high school friend of my parents and her husband Gene, who is a retired ship captain in the Merchant Marines.

      They live on a rural island on the Western side of the main shipping channel, directly across from Whidbey Island, directly abeam the "SC" (Sierra Charlie) buoy. Gene was a captain for MSC (Military Sealift Command) for over 20 years and has been all over the world.  He has also sailed on the University of WA's Thomas G. Thomson as a Chief Mate.  It was inspiring to hear about his career, and to see how a retired captain lives.  They had the most amazing property with unbeatable views, surrounded by old growth trees, long forested driveway and situated right on the water.  I couldn't have dreamed up a better place to live if I tried. We chatted for a bit, talked about boats and then headed into town for a bite to eat.  Afterwards we parted ways and headed back to Everett, and then home to Seattle.   A great day all in all.
       Tomorrow it's nose back in the books.  I'm really not feeling good about exams next week and really have no clue as to how I will come close to passing this class, but I'm over it.  If I don't make it, then I'll just have to retake it a later date.  I took today off from studying because A. I needed it and B. it's not too often your parents come north and are in town.  Celestial Nav is a hard subject, I'm not as sharp as I used to be, and it's not worth stressing over.  Moving on while still giving my all.

Off to bed rest and a long day of studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment